The application period for summer 2021 is now closed.
Program Dates: June 1 - August 6, 2021
Application review will begin on March 8 (extended).
However, we will continue to accept new applications and recommendation letters on an ongoing basis until the program is full. Therefore, students are encouraged to apply even after this date.
This program is for enthusiastic and motivated students enrolled in a computer science or related undergraduate program. Applicants should have basic understanding of programming at the start of the summer, but prior research experience is not necessary.
Students that identify as members of underrepresented groups in computer science, first-generation college students, and those at institutions with limited research access (e.g., liberal arts or community colleges) are particularly encouraged to apply.
Specific eligibility requirements include:
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States. Note that this is a hard requirement and no exceptions can be made.
- Enrolled full time at an academic institution as part of an undergraduate program.*
- Will not have already earned a B.S. or B.A. degree before the summer program.
- Available full-time (40 hours per week, Monday through Friday) during the ten week program.**
- Basic programming skills evidenced by the computer science courses listed on your transcript(s).
* Current University of Minnesota students who would like to participate in the REU site are welcome to apply, but please note that these spots are very limited.
** It may be possible to accommodate a late start date if your academic semester or final exams partially overlap with beginning of the program. However, this might result in a slight reduction of the stipend to reflect the actual time spent at the University.
During our review process, we will evaluate each student based on a collection of materials including transcripts, application form, statement of purpose, and a recommendation letter. We will be looking for enthusiastic students that are strongly motivated to pursue opportunities that advance them academically, professionally, and personally. Most importantly, we are looking for students that are excited about research in human-centered computing!
Step 1: Application Form
To complete this form, you will need the following:
- The most recent unofficial transcript from your undergraduate institution (PDF). Please note that official transcripts sometimes are provided in formats that make it difficult for our system to process.
- A personal statement (PDF). This document should be single-spaced and approximately one full page in length. This statement is the most important part of your application, so you will want to make sure it is thoughtfull, well-written, and spell/grammar checked. Examples of topics you may write about include: how you came to be interested in research, examples of previous challenges and how you overcame them, your reasons for wanting to participate in the REU program, and how this summer research experience might better prepare you to meet your future goals. Expressing your enthusiasm is the most important factor, so you will want to make sure this comes across in your personal statement!
- A ranking of your top three choices from the list of research projects. Make sure to read these descriptions and check out the websites of each faculty member. These choices are important because they will determine which mentors will evaluate your application.
- The name and email address for a faculty member that will provide your letter of recommendation. A letter request with a customized submission link will be sent automatically when you submit your application form.
Step 2: Recommendation Letter Confirmation
Your application is not complete until we receive a recommendation letter. We strongly recommend that you follow up directly with your recommender to make sure that the letter is submitted by the application deadline. You will receive another confirmation automatically when the letter is submitted.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.